I love a good pasta dish. How about you? Of course, I love Italian food in general. Pasta, tomatoes, garlic and basil are on my list of foods that I crave on a regular basis. However, this pasta dish is a bit different than your typical “tomato based meat sauce, white flour pasta.”
This meal is one I came up with when I wanted to use some kale that I had in the Fridge and…. I was just in the mood for pasta. I am always looking for a way to add more kale to our diet. Kale has so many healthy benefits…….
- It’s a “super green” food that is loaded with vitamins and nutrients
- It has more iron than beef
- More calcium than milk
- 20% more vitamin C than spinach
- Low calorie and low carb
- Kale has tons of anti-oxidants
- Is an anti-inflammatory promoting vegetable
It turns out this pasta has become one of my favorites. My husband loves it too. He doesn’t seem to mind that there is no meat in this dish because it’s extremely filling, not to mention…. healthy and tasty. The Cannellini beans add protein and the mushrooms add even more healthy benefits as well as a meaty texture to the pasta.
I hope you’ll give this pasta dish a try….Enjoy!
Remember…… EAT MORE KALE!!!
|Kale and Cannellini Bean Pasta|| |
- 2 Tbsp. of grapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 box of quinoa spaghetti pasta (I use Ancient Harvest brand)
- ¾-1 bunch of organic kale, stems removed and chopped coarsely.
- 1 can of Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (I use Eden Organic brand)
- 4 shallots, sliced thin
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed (use less if you prefer)
- 2 cups of organic baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- ½ -1 tsp. of crushed red pepper (use less if you prefer)
- ⅓ cup of dry white wine (I used a Pinot Grigio)
- ½ - ¾ cup of organic chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup of reserved pasta water
- Real salt or sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Garnish with a smidge of grated parmesan cheese (Optional)
- On the stove top, bring salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large sauté pan on medium to high heat.
- Add shallots and garlic to the pan and sauté until softened. Approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium/low and pour in white wine. Continue cooking another 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Place chopped Kale in the sauté pan and toss to coat with other vegetables. Pour in ¼ to ½ cup of chicken or vegetable broth. Continue tossing to coat and stirring until Kale starts to cook down. Approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Add another ¼ cup of chicken or vegetable broth if needed. You need to have enough to make a light sauce.
- Pour in Cannellini beans and mix well.
- Add crushed red pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain pasta and reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water.
- Place pasta in the sauté pan with the vegetables, pour in pasta water. Using tongs, toss pasta with the vegetables.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese if desired and serve immediately.