While on vacation at the beach last week I did some reflecting on the last year and a half. My first thought was, “Wow…. I can’t believe I have come this far.” I say that because while on vacation I was reminded again of all the unhealthy foods that I used to randomly and haphazardly cram into my face without a thought of what it might be doing to me.
What reminded me of this was trying to grocery shop in an area where there was minimal organic and healthy foods available. Also trying to make healthy meals for my sweet step-daughters was no easy task when they would prefer pizza, hotdogs and cheese fries. I remember not too long ago…. I was happy to make and eat those things too.
I started to think about how easy it would be to go back to this old way of eating. It’s convenient, isn’t it? Hey… think about it….you can find any and everything you want or need for whatever unhealthy recipe you choose at any given local grocery store. Where as, finding chia seeds or organic grass fed beef…. is not quite as easy. Of course, I know that without a doubt I will never go back to this lifestyle but…. it made me do some serious thinking about WHY others find it so difficult to eat clean.
My husband and I were discussing this and we started to think about all the new foods that we have discovered over the last year and a half. Some of these foods we had never eaten and some…. we had never even heard of. Quinoa for example. I never even knew what quinoa was and now we eat it at least once a week… sometimes twice a week. Lets face it…. Quinoa was not a staple on my Mama’s SOUTHERN table when I grew up. Chances are… it wasn’t on your table growing up either.
I have listed some of the foods that we DO eat and some of the foods that we DO NOT eat in our home since we started our eat clean journey. I have hopes that it will inspire you to evaluate the foods you eat, learn about them and what is in them and then…. try some new foods too.
10 Foods that I DO eat:
- Kale….. never knew how good it was.
- Quinoa and other grains like black or brown rice.
- Arugula…. never knew this either.
- Chia Seeds and lots of nuts, beans and legumes.
- Coconut milk dairy products such as yogurt and ice cream.
- Sparkling water…. which replaces soft drinks.
- Agave….. a natural sweetener… only in small amounts to replace sugar. Also… honey and maple syrup.
- Coconut oil… to replace butter in some dishes.
- Grass fed organic beef, organic chicken (Pastured) and wild caught fish.
- A whole bunch of fruits and veggies…. Everyday! Fruits and veggies have become the biggest part of my diet.
10 Foods that I DO NOT eat:
- Processed cheese….like Kraft Singles and Velveeta (It even says on the package…”Processed Cheese Product”)
- Refined sugars, including white sugar, high fructose corn syrup and also any artificial sweeteners.
- Butter, margarine, unbeneficial oils such as corn or vegetable oil, canola or vegetable shortening.
- Processed breads and bread products….. Even whole wheat, also to include cereals, pastas and crackers.
- Dairy products… including milk, yogurt, sour cream. (Except for a small amount of grass fed cheese or high quality organic cheese)
- Mayonnaise or foods with mayonnaise included.
- Pork or pork products.
- Any product with artificial ingredients, colors or preservatives….. This requires reading labels on everything and being choosy when eating out.
- Any beef or chicken that is not been raised organically or grass fed.
- Fish that was farm raised.
If you are just starting on your “Eat Clean” journey please find comfort in knowing that yes…. it is at times more work and effort, it requires more thinking and planning but…. it will be SO worth it. Your body will love you for it.
I’m hoping my older children….. Rhett, Elizabeth and Emily will jump on board very soon! (Going to keep trying kiddos…. sorry!) 🙂