Ahhhhhh……Bruschetta….. Heaven on toast!
I could seriously eat bruschetta everyday and be perfectly happy. We had this last week on Wednesday (my day off work) as an appetizer. I tend to do a bit “extra” for meals on my day off. 🙂 Earlier in the day I stopped by the produce market and picked up some heirloom tomatoes that were grown locally. I had fresh basil on hand that I harvested from my Tower Garden last week too. I thought bruschetta would be perfect to have that evening.
I had one problem though…… Bread and gluten.
Bruschetta is usually served with a crusty French bread. But…. French bread is not a good choice for a clean diet and most packaged gluten free breads that you buy at the grocery store just wouldn’t work. They would not complement the bruschetta and I knew my husband would not like it either.
I had an idea for the bread…..and as it turns out…. it worked great!
I picked up a package of Rudi’s gluten free multigrain hamburger buns. I cut them in half with a serrated knife and sliced the edges off so that they were in little triangles and no longer had round edges. (I saved the unused edges to freeze and make gluten free bread crumbs later on.) I brushed the bread with a bit of olive oil and sprinkled garlic powder and dried parsley on the bread triangles. I toasted the bread in the oven until it browned. Cool, huh? Can you tell from the picture that the bread is really gluten free hamburger buns? 🙂
Now….. just let me say….. on a clean diet you want to avoid bread flours as much as possible and stick to a more plant based diet with grains, beans and nuts. Even gluten free bread products should be kept to a minimum because they are just that…. Bread. Bread = carbs and for the most part, empty calories. I usually eat gluten free bread products about once a week. However, when I do, I feel okay about eating the Rudi’s brand of gluten free breads and here is why….
Read the following excerpt from the Rudi’s website:
“Our breads come packed with gluten free goodness. We use only the highest quality, wholesome, all-natural and organic ingredients; you won’t find any modified starches, gums or preservatives in our gluten-free breads. Our all-natural gluten-free products feature a variety of healthy ingredients, like sunflower seeds, millet, fiber and flax. And, since our products are certified gluten-free by the Gluten Free Certification Organization, you know they are safe.”
Now, for the delicious and super easy recipe for the bruschetta! 🙂
- 2 medium organic tomatoes, seeded and chopped (Homegrown.... are perfect!)
- 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup of fresh basil, finely chopped
- Balsamic vinegar, drizzled (Approximately 1-2 Tbsp.)
- Organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, drizzled (Approximately 1-2 Tbsp.)
- Sea Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Seed and chop the tomatoes and place them into a mixing bowl.
- Crush garlic cloves and chop the basil. Place them both into the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the tomatoes, garlic and basil.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste
- Toss bruschetta mixture to coat well with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Serve immediately at room temperature with crusty gluten free bread.