This salad has become one of my all time favorite meals on a weeknight. My husband Lee, doesn’t complain about this salad for dinner because it has meat and potatoes and is hearty enough to fill him up. It’s super quick and easy and to save time I use a cooked, organic rotisserie chicken from the Earth Fare deli. I am not sure why it took me so long to discover arugula, but it adds the perfect peppery note to the chicken and potatoes…. and the blue cheese gives amazing flavor.
I can’t take credit for this salad. I discovered it in one of my favorite cookbooks, “Southern My Way” by Gena Knox. I changed the recipe very little from Gena’s original version. I use more arugula and I use purple onion instead of chives and most of the time I omit the bacon. However, when I do use bacon, I use Applegate Organics brand and I only use 2 slices instead of 3.
To see the original recipe go to Gena’s Website and click on “purchase book.” When you purchase the book it’s on page 108. You’ll love Gena’s recipes whether you are a GRIT (Girl Raised in the South) or not.
|Roasted Chicken and Potato Salad with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette|| |
- 5-6 organic Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 cups of shredded roasted organic/pastured chicken
- 1 container of organic arugula
- 1½ Cup of cherry tomatoes, halfed
- ½ to ¼ of a red onion, thinly sliced.
- 3 slices of Applegate Organics all natural bacon (You can use turkey bacon if desired), cooked and crumbled.
- 3 Tbsp. of red wine vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ Cup and 1-2 Tbsp. of organic cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ Cup of high quality blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes into a roasting dish. Salt and pepper the potatoes, drizzle with 1-2 Tbsp. of olive oil, and roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes until done and slightly browned. ( You may boil the potatoes if short on time.)
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, place arugula, cherry tomatoes, red onion.
- Scatter shredded chicken and roasted potatoes over top of vegetables.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon over top if desired.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, red wine vinegar, blue cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour Blue Cheese Vinaigrette dressing over salad and toss to coat all ingredients.
- Serve immediately