Salads are my thing in the summer. They work well on those weeknights when we try to get a run in after work or take a quick swim in the pool before dinner. We eat pretty late for most people…. usually about 8:00pm and a nice summer salad is perfect for those evenings.
This salad is packed with protein and healthy grains. It has a large amount of flavor due to the sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives. It’s very filling even though it doesn’t have any meat. But…if you wanted…. you could add some pastured/organic shredded chicken to this and it would be great if your family needs a meat.
I love to take this to work for my lunch. When I make this salad it generally makes enough for me to have 2-3 days. I spoon a big helping of the salad onto a bed of spinach or arugula. It is awesome-ness!
This recipe is one I came up with a about a year ago. I elaborated on the typical wild rice salad that so many people make. I wanted to add more protein and beneficial grains. I use Seeds of Change Organic Quinoa and Brown Rice with Garlic in the microwaveable pouch. It takes 90 seconds to cook which makes this salad super quick to put together.
Nothing beats a terrific go-to salad for lunch or a summertime evening meal. Give this one a try!
|Wild Rice, Quinoa and Chick Pea Salad|| |
- 1 8.5 oz. package of Seeds of Change Quinoa and Brown Rice with Garlic
- 1 Can of organic garbanzo beans (Chick Peas) rinsed and drained. I use Eden Organic brand
- 2 Tbsp. of pine nuts
- ½ Cup of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ½ Cup of sliced kalamata olives
- 1 12 oz. jar of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped coarsely
- ¼ Cup of organic cold-pressed olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp. of fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook rice/quinoa mix according to package directions, let cool and add to a large bowl.
- Rinse and drain the can of chick peas and pour into bowl.
- Add pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and artichoke hearts to the bowl and stir to mix well.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, rice vinegar, chopped garlic, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the salad and toss well to coat all the ingredients.
- Chill slightly and serve