Avocados are all the rage these days. They are delicious and with their many health benefits they are nutritious as well. I keep avocados on hand all of the time and use them in our meals about every other day. They are amazing on salads or sandwiches and we love them for breakfast with eggs, on toast or in a smoothie.
I ran across this recipe a few months back when I was going through my cookbooks. I needed a new dressing recipe to pump up my taco salad. It is so creamy, but has no dairy or mayo included. It was the absolute perfect addition to my salad. The tangy lime and fresh cilantro are complemented by the spicy jalapeno and make this clean salad dressing flavor filled.
If you haven’t already included avocado to your diet here are a few reasons you may want to consider doing so….
- High nutrient value with 2 grams of protein and 15 grams of healthy fats.
- A low-carbohydrate friendly plant food containing 9 grams of carbohydrates, 7 of those are fiber and only 2 are carbohydrates.
- Avocados can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Loaded with certain antioxidants that can protect the eyes.
- Avocados may help you lose weight. You’ll stay more satisfied after eating a meal containing avocados due to their higher healthy fat content and fiber.
This salad dressing is super easy to make and will store in the refrigerator for about 4 days. I usually store this in a sealed mason jar.
I hope you’ll try this yummy salad dressing. I am certain it will become a family favorite.
Tip: If your avocado is too firm and you need to use it the next day, you can speed up the ripening process by placing avocados in a brown paper bag. Simply pop the avocados in the bag and close the top. The next day they will be perfect and ripe enough to use.
|Fresh and Creamy Avocado Salad Dressing|| |
- 1 ripened avocado, peeled, seed removed and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, coarsely chopped (use less if you prefer)
- 3 Tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. of sea salt
- ¼ Cup of extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ - ½ Cup of filtered water
- Place all ingredients except the filtered water into a high speed blender.
- Blend on high for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute or until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Remove the lid of the blender and add ¼ cup of filtered water at first. Blend again for 10-20 seconds.
- Add more filtered water if necessary to make the dressing the correct consistency. It will be thicker but, you should be able to pour the mixture.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve immediately at room temperature.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator in a sealed glass container for up to 4 days.
***This recipe is a variation of one found in Danielle Walker’s book, Meals Made Simple.