My husband has asked me several times to try and find a recipe for a homemade navy bean soup. When he was a bachelor and ate all sorts of unhealthy foods, Campbell’s Bean and Bacon soup was one of his favorites. This recipe is much healthier with the added veggies and so tasty and filling.
Here are a few…..
- The high fiber in navy beans can help you manage the symptoms of diabetes.
- Improves digestion and intestinal health due to the high fiber in these legumes.
- Magnesium and folate in navy beans keep the heart strong and protected.
- A great source of protein with more than 15 grams in a single cup.
I hope you’ll stay warm and survive the cold of February by trying this delicious soup.
|Navy Bean Soup with Veggies|| |
- 3 15 oz. cans of organic navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp. of crushed red pepper (less if you prefer)
- 1 Tbsp. of white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. of tomato paste
- 4 cups of organic reduced sodium chicken broth (use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 3-4 cups of organic spinach
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain 1 can of the navy beans and place into a high speed blender with 1 cup of filtered water. Blend until smooth.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium to high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the pot and saute until soft, 5-8 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper, tomato paste, white wine vinegar, chicken broth, bay leaves and rosemary to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Add the pureed navy beans, the remaining two 15 oz. cans of navy beans, rinsed and drained, sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium/low and simmer for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Using a hand held immersion blender, puree the soup leaving about ⅓ to half the beans whole. (If you do not have an immersion blender you may place about 2 cups of the soup in an upright high speed blender, blend until smooth and place back into the pot on the stove top.)
- Add the spinach leaves to the soup and stir until wilted. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
***The information on the health benefits of navy beans was found on the website www.organicfacts.net