If you try to stick with a grain free diet, either for health reasons or by choice, you may struggle to find a grain free bread that actually taste good.
I have been at this gluten free and now grain free lifestyle for about five years and I have tried numerous recipes for gluten free/grain free bread, muffins, and pizza crust. None of them held together very well and none of them were very tasty. They were all dry and crumbled the when you took the first bite. I actually remember throwing a pizza crust in the trash one evening because it was absolutely horrible. My sweet husband ate it but, I just could not. Yuck!
Over the last year, I have finally found several go-to recipes that I use on a regular basis to curb my appetite for bread. Most of the time I am perfectly happy to simply leave the bun off of my burger or sandwich, but every now and then a lettuce wrap just won’t do.
I found this particular recipe for grain free bread on Instagram. I follow @barerootgirl on Instagram and she has some amazing recipes that are grain free. When I saw this bread and the ingredients, it looked a bit different than the recipes that I had tried in the past. I immediately gathered the what I needed from the pantry and got to work in the kitchen.
The finished bread was delicious and the texture was moist and not at all crumbly. It made the most perfect BLT and A sandwich and was fab when I toasted it and topped with blueberry jam for breakfast.
For this recipe, I use a smaller loaf pan (8 1/2 in. X 4 1/2 in.) and the bread slices are smaller than your average store bought bread. You should keep this bread in the fridge if you are going to use within a week or in the freezer if you want it to last a bit longer.
If you are trying to eat a grain free diet and occasionally just need a bread fix then I hope you will give this recipe a try. I think you will find it very satisfying, as I did. Also, check out Bare Root Girl for more amazing grain free recipes.
|Grain Free Sandwich Bread|| |
- 5 pastured eggs
- ½ Cup of canned light coconut milk
- 6 Tbsp. of melted coconut oil or ghee (I prefer coconut oil as it has a lighter taste)
- 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. of honey
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- 3 Cups of blanched almond flour
- ⅓ Cup of arrowroot powder
- 4 Tbsp. of ground flax meal
- 2 tsp. of grass-fed gelatin (I purchased on Amazon)
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. of baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease loaf pan with ghee or coconut oil and line with parchment paper if you choose, sit aside.
- Add eggs, coconut milk, ghee or coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, honey and sea salt to a medium size bowl. Use a hand mixer on medium speed and blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot powder, ground flax meal, gelatin, baking powder and baking soda.
- add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the liquid mixture and using the hand mixer again, mix on medium speed to blend all ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake 55-65 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan.
- Place on a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.
- Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container or in the freezer.