Recently, I had lunch at a fabulous new restaurant in our area, The Tropical Smoothie Café. On the menu are various healthy and nutritious food options. They serve delicious smoothies made with fresh fruits and real ingredients, wraps and sandwiches. One item in particular caught my eye…. the Kale and Apple Slaw. I gave the slaw a try and it was absolutely delicious. One bite and I was hooked.
I simply had to try and recreate this at home. I have no idea what ingredients are included in the restaurant’s version of this slaw but, I put together something very close and it turned out fab, if I do say so myself. Of course, the combination of kale and apples always tend to compliment each other in any dish.
With curly kale, granny smith apples and carrots, this slaw is packed with nutrition. The kale alone, is full of antioxidants, calcium and iron and is low in fat and calories.
The dressing I chose to use for the slaw does include some dairy. As a rule, I try to limit dairy in my diet due to the fact that it has been proved to cause inflammation inside the body. Inflammation leads to disease. As Americans, we consume large amounts of dairy and with the increase of dairy in our diets, our disease rate has gone up as well. Occasionally though, I will add a small amount of dairy to a recipe if I feel that a substitute would not lend well to the flavor of the dish. I used a low fat Greek yogurt to dress the slaw but there are many other options out there that may work well. Non-dairy yogurt is available and Veganaise (Vegan Mayonnaise) might be another choice.
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try.
|Kale and Apple Slaw|| |
- 1 bunch of curly kale, stems removed and chopped into small pieces
- 2 granny smith apples, julienned
- 2 carrots, use a veggie peeler to create thin ribbons
- ½ cup of organic plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. of Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- 1½ Tbsp. of local honey
- The juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp. of celery seeds
- ½ tsp. of kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. of cracked black pepper
- Wash Kale and drain to dry then remove stems and chop the kale into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Without peeling the apples, cut them into thin julienned pieces and place into the bowl with the kale.
- Wash and peel the outer layer from the carrots and discard that layer. Then using the veggie peeler, create thin ribbons of carrot by running the peeler down the carrot. Place into the bowl with the kale and apple.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the kale, apples and carrots. Toss to coat well.
- Place in the refrigerator for about an hour, stirring occasionally to help tenderize the kale.
- Remove and serve slightly chilled.
***The information about Dairy in the American diet was found at http://www.forksoverknives.com/the-film/