For dinner this past Friday evening we had these amazing Asian lettuce wraps with turkey and fresh veggies.
If you have been to PF Chang’s you may have had their amazing lettuce wraps. They have a vegetarian version and a gluten free version as well as chicken lettuce wraps on their appetizer menu. I wanted to try and create a healthier version at home but, keep all the flavor of the PF Chang’s dish. I played around a bit with some ingredients and different ideas and then I put this recipe together. IT WAS ASIAN WONDERFUL-NESS!
I think the meal turned out pretty great and my husband agreed. I used all natural ground turkey, veggies, no sugar, minimal oil and gluten free soy sauce and of course….. the very healthy leaf lettuce in place of ice berg lettuce that most folks use for lettuce wraps. The dipping sauce was both sweet and spicy. This meal was full of flavor, healthy and clean….. and VERY filling. I was stuffed when we finished the meal. The recipe made the perfect amount for our dinner last night but if you had 4-6 people you could use this dish as an appetizer also.
If you have ever eaten lettuce wraps before, you know that you’ll need a few sturdy napkins ready. To help the dripping situation…. we spooned the sauce over the turkey mixture once we had placed it on the lettuce leaf and then…… we wrapped it up and devoured it.
Have a great start to your week and I hope you enjoy the recipe!
|Asian Lettuce Wraps with Turkey|| |
- 1-2 Tbsp. of organic cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. of organic ground turkey
- 4-5 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 small can of water chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb. of button mushrooms, stems removed, cleaned and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. of chopped finely or grated ginger
- ¼ Cup of gluten free, low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. of honey
- 1 Tbsp. of rice vinegar
- 1 bunch of leaf lettuce, washed and leaves broken apart
- grated carrot
- shredded red cabbage
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 6 Tbsp. of soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. of rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. of honey
- 2 Tbsp. of Dijon mustard
- 1 Tsp. of sesame oil
- 1 Tsp. of crushed red pepper... or to taste
- Heat 1-2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat.
- Place ground turkey in the skillet and cook until lightly browned.
- Add garlic, scallions, water chestnuts, mushrooms and sauté stirring often until vegetables have softened. Approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Decrease heat to low and pour ¼ Cup of soy sauce, honey and rice vinegar over the turkey/vegetable mixture and stir well to coat the meat and vegetables.
- Stir occasionally and keep warm while you prepare the dipping sauce, carrots and cabbage.
- Wash and grate 3 carrots and shred approximately 1 cup of red cabbage.
- In a small bowl, add 6 Tbsp. of soy sauce, 4 Tbsp. of rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp. of honey, 2 Tbsp. of Dijon mustard, 1 Tsp. of sesame oil and crushed red pepper to taste. Whisk all ingredients together for the dipping sauce.
- To Serve, place 1-2 Tbsp. of the turkey/vegetable mixture onto a lettuce leaf, spoon a bit of the dipping sauce over.
- Sprinkle carrot and red cabbage on top, wrap the lettuce leaf around the meat and enjoy.
- This recipe was originally posted in June 2013. I have made a few changes to the previously posted recipe and updated the photos.