Watermelon just screams summer, doesn’t it? So many childhood memories come to mind when I slice a watermelon. Memories of being at my Grandmother Hester’s house at the lake with all the family there. After spending the day swimming and laying in inner tubes… (the older folks got to ski)….. We would slice a huge watermelon, right outside on the table and everyone had a piece, lightly salted of course. The adults sat around in metal lawn chairs and the kids ran around playing as the lighting bugs came out. Mind you this is one of my earliest memories… I couldn’t have been more than five years old. Still, very vivid to me was how the watermelon tasted and how it ran down my face onto my shirt.
I still love watermelon in the summer time. For the months of July and August I keep at least half a melon in the fridge cut up into chunks so we can easily grab a piece. I try to think of ways to use it in recipes also.
This recipe is one I came up with on my own. I had seen similar recipes on Pinterest and thought I’d create one myself. The combination is perfect. The peppery arugula is so amazing with the sweet watermelon and then the salty taste of the feta and Kalamata olives add another level of flavor.
Watermelon has so many health benefits also. Here are a few:
- 46 calories per cup.
- Each serving has 20 percent of your daily vitamin C.
- 17 percent of your daily vitamin A.
- Both Vitamin A and C are needed for strong immunity.
- Provides potassium, which helps steady blood pressure.
- The pink inside of the watermelon is loaded with lycopene, plant pigment that is linked to lower rates of heart disease and certain cancers.
- Lycopene has also been shown to decrease chances of sun-damage to skin.
For more facts on how to choose a delicious melon, check out a post I did a while back…..”Watermelon….A LOVE Triangle.”
Enjoy the rest of the summer and…..I hope you’ll give this fabulous watermelon salad a try!
|Summer Watermelon and Arugula Salad|| |
- 4 cups of cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 container of organic arugula
- ¼ of a red onion, sliced very thin
- ¼ cup of feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup of pitted Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. of red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. of honey
- A pinch of sea salt (or Real salt brand) and cracked black pepper
- Slice a seedless watermelon and cut it into 2 inch chunks. Place it in a medium bowl.
- Add ½ to ¾ of a container of organic arugula to the bowl along with red onion, feta cheese and Kalamata olives.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour about ½ of the dressing over the arugula and watermelon. Toss to coat all ingredients. Add more dressing if desired.
- Serve immediately.