I truly love a one dish meal.
This recipe is one that I saw Katie Lee prepare on the Saturday morning Food Network show….The Kitchen. Katie is one of my favorite chefs. First of all…. she is Southern and secondly…. She loves healthy food. Almost all of her recipes are whole foods and lean toward the lighter side.
I am all about putting a delicious meal together that looks as if I’ve spent all day in the kitchen but in reality….it takes me no time at all to have on the table. This recipe fits the bill for quick, that is for sure. It also has great flavor and is clean and nutritional.
Shrimp and veggies roasted in the oven with a bit of a Mediterranean flare will make for a perfect weeknight dinner or to serve your guest at a casual summer dinner party. Throw in some toasted sprouted grain bread for the perfect one-dish meal.
The only thing I did differently with the recipe that varied from Katie’s dish was that I added asparagus and a bit more garlic. Because hey….. I like asparagus and garlic. If you prefer different veggies, experiment and add what you like.
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try and check out Katie Lee on the Food Network. She makes some amazingly simple meals that you will love if you are into healthful food.
|Mediterranean Shrimp and Vegetables.....A Katie Lee Recipe|| |
- FOR THE VEGETABLES
- 3 Tbsp. of dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
- 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
- 12-15 oz. of artichoke hearts, drained
- 8 oz. of haricot vert, trimmed
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives
- 2 Tbsp. capers, drained
- 1 red onion cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- Salt and cracked black pepper (I used Real Salt brand)
- FOR THE SHRIMP:
- 1 1b. of shrimp, deveined and tails removed (Purchase wild-caught whenever possible)
- 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. of dried oregano
- ½ tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 pinch of salt and cracked black pepper
- To add when combined: 4 oz. of crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- For the vegetables, in a large bowl, whisk together the white wine, olive oil and garlic.
- Add the artichokes, haricot vert, tomatoes, olives, capers and onions. Toss to coat all the vegetables.
- Season with about ½ tsp. of salt and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Place the vegetables onto a large baking sheet and spread out evenly.
- Roast until the tomatoes begin to release their juices. Approximately 10-12 minutes.
- For the shrimp, while the vegetables are roasting use the same bowl and whisk together olive oil, dried oregano, red pepper, garlic, lemon zest and juice.
- Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss to coat. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven after approximately 10-12 minutes and add the shrimp to the baking sheet. Stir around and evenly spread out the shrimp and vegetables.
- Place the baking sheet back in the oven and roast until the shrimp is pink and opaque. Approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place into a large serving bowl, sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese and serve immediately with toasted sprouted grain or gluten free bread.