With all the bar-b-cues, family get-togethers and picnics that will go on this summer, you are sure to need a healthy and delicious dip recipe that everyone can enjoy.
This dip is one that I created about three summers ago when my husband’s family had a gathering at his sister Pam’s house on Lake Greenwood, SC. We usually have a yearly get-together there and enjoy good food, family and a ride on the lake in the pontoon. I took along this dip with some blue corn chips and everyone devoured it. It is now a requirement for me to bring this to any Rhinehart summertime gathering. I’m the crazy healthy food nut in the bunch so I was pleased that they enjoyed something I made.
Paula Deen has a recipe that is similar to this using black-eyed peas and bottled Italian dressing. She calls her recipe…. “South Georgia Caviar.” I liked that name so I gave my dip the name “Southern Caviar” because…..no matter where you live in the South, from Kentucky to Florida or all the over in Texas…. we are not pretentious. Fresh, simple foods like beans and corn are what we prefer over fish eggs. 🙂
Super simple to put together…. You can have this ready in 15 minutes with items that I’ll bet you already have on hand in your pantry and fridge. This dip is absolutely perfect to add flavor to grilled chicken or fish as well.
Southern Caviar is such a fabulous dip and a crowd pleaser for sure. Both healthy and clean….I just know your family and friends will love it. Enjoy!
***To those that might be admiring my beautiful bowl….It was purchased at Art on Broad in Augusta, GA It is handmade pottery by a local artist, Jerry Pruitt.
|Southern Caviar|| |
- 1 can of organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of organic sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ of a red onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. of Red wine vinegar
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain the black beans and sweet corn and place into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the red and yellow bell pepper, jalapeno, red onion and cilantro and place into the bowl with the beans and corn.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the beans and vegetables. Stir well to mix together all ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring a few times in between.
- Serve with organic blue corn or yellow corn tortilla chips.