I’m sure if you grew up anywhere in the South you remember an abundance of fresh tomatoes and cucumbers in the summer. When I was growing up, we always had a platter of sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and cantaloupe at every meal. Even for breakfast.
I also remember the yummy Tomato Cucumber Salad that my mom would put together as a side dish. Tomatoes, cucumbers and onions marinated in an oil and vinegar dressing. You can always find this dish at any church pot luck or family get-together. I’m sure that this dish will be on many a Southern table throughout the coming summer. Such a fresh and healthy recipe that is super easy to prepare.
I don’t know about you, but tomatoes and cucumbers fresh from the garden reminds me of summer in the South.
Of course, I love the freshness of this traditional salad just the way it is, but I had to give it my own twist. I added a bit more flavor with the Kalamata olives, feta cheese and oregano. I also used a sprializer for the cucumbers instead if simply slicing them and I think it made the salad more visually appealing. If you don’t have a spiralizer though…. slice the cucumbers any way you choose.
This dish is so versatile. I actually served this as an appetizer with toasted pita bread for a girls night out a few weeks ago. They loved it and there was none left before dinner was served.
Give this fresh and healthy salad a try this summer. I’m sure you’ll love it!
|Greek Cucumber Tomato Salad|| |
- 3-4 medium English cucumbers, spiralized or sliced (English cucumbers have a thinner peel)
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ of red onion, sliced very thin
- ⅓ cup of sliced Kalamata olives
- ¼ - ⅓ of Feta cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. of red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tsp. of agave nectar
- ½ tsp. of dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. of garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. of salt ( I used Real Salt brand)
- ¼ tsp. of cracked black pepper
- Wash and spiralize or slice the cucumbers...leaving the peel on. Place into a large mixing bowl.
- Wash and slice the grape tomatoes in half and place into the bowl with the cucumber.
- Slice the red onion very thin and place into the bowl with the other veggies.
- Add the olives and feta cheese crumbles to the bowl and give all the ingredients a good stir to mix well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, agave nectar, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss to coat well.
- Place in the fridge and allow to marinate at least an hour before serving.