I recently bought a fancy new-fangled spiralizer from Williams Sonoma. Have you seen this awesome gadget? This is so cool and you can do so many things with it. Like…..create a gazillion different recipes with sprialized fruits and veggies.
As you can imagine…. I have been a spiralizing fool. I have tried russet potatoes which I added to a frittata. Spiralized sweet potatoes for a side dish with a honey mustard glaze. Cucumber worked really well for a cucumber tomato salad that I’ll be posting really soon. And….of course….. I spiralized zucchini to make “zoodles” which are recently all the rage on food blogs and Pinterest.
This super easy meal was one that I came up with while my husband was on a business trip out of the country. I tend to eat vegetarian while he is away because he is the meat lover and I can do without it and have no problem finding plant based proteins that satisfy my taste.
To be honest… this is not really a recipe in my book. I just roasted some veggies in a vinaigrette. Steamed some zucchini noodles, added some of my favorite pre-made pasta sauce…..Rao’s Arrabbiata sauce and a dab of grated smoked mozzarella cheese. You could roast any assortment of vegetables that you have on hand. I used asparagus, yellow squash, red pepper, red onion and grape tomatoes. However, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower or eggplant would work well also.
If you do not have a sprializer simply place the roasted veggies on top of a healthy gluten free pasta such as Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta or even a whole wheat pasta if you don’t mind gluten. If you do have a spiralizer….. experiment and see what you can come up with.
Super easy, quick, delicious, flavor packed, clean and nutritional.
I promise you will not walk away from this meal feeling deprived. This dish is very light, but very filling. Give this dish a try and enjoy a plate load of veggies.
Happy Weekend…… Enjoy! 🙂
|Zoodles with Roasted Veggies and Marinara Sauce|| |
- 4 medium zucchini squash, sprialized
- 1-2 yellow squash, sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 1 bunch of asparagus, tender tips only
- 1 red pepper, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- ½ of a red onion, chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
- ½- 1 pint of grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh basil
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. of Dijon mustard
- ¼ to ½ Sea salt or Real Salt brand
- ⅛ to ¼ Cracked black pepper,
- 1 jar of Rao's arrabbiata pasta sauce (Or... your favorite all natural, low sugar pasta sauce)
- Smoked mozzarella, grated
- Wash and cut ends off of the zucchini and cut the zucchini in half, using a spiralizer, spiralize the zucchini and place into a microwave safe bowl. Place 1-2 Tbsp. of water in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap leaving an edge open. Cook in microwave until steamed. Approximately 4-5 minutes. Zucchini should be softened, but not mushy. Pour water off of zucchini and set aside.
- Chop all veggies except for the grape tomatoes and place into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, crushed garlic, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Pour the vinaigrette over the veggies and toss well.
- Place the veggies on a large baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree oven for approximately 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, stir the veggies around and add the grape tomatoes and the chopped basil to the baking sheet. Allow to cook another 10-15 minutes or until the veggies are softened, but not over done or mushy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the veggies are cooking in the oven, heat the pasta sauce over medium to low heat on top of the range.
- To plate the dish, simply place approximately 1 - 1½ cups of zoodles onto a dinner plate, add some of the roasted veggies, top with ½ to 1 cup of the pasta sauce and garnish with a bit of smoked mozzarella cheese.
- Serve immediately.