Cranberry sauce is a given at all of your holiday meals, right?
I have always loved the tartness of the cranberries with turkey and dressing every Thanksgiving and Christmas. My mother used to make a cranberry relish with orange zest and walnuts. It was delicious, but it took a while to prepare and it had a good bit of sugar in the recipe. I have to be honest, I even used to love the jellied canned stuff that has loads of sugar. Yep….You know? The kind you slice? I actually read the ingredients in a can of that stuff last year and decided that I must make my own so that we had a healthier version of cranberry sauce to go with our turkey breast.
When we lived in England, I went to a Christmas bazaar at the church in our village and bought a jar of homemade cranberry chutney. It was SO amazing and had tons of flavor. I wanted to try and duplicate that particular cranberry chutney. I had no idea what the exact recipe of the chutney that I bought at the bazaar included, but I knew that it had walnuts, apples and whole cranberries. So…. I just winged it and came up with this recipe.
My recipe has very little sugar and all organic, real ingredients with no artificial flavors or preservatives so I feel good about serving it as the perfect accompaniment to complete our healthy holiday meals.
|Cranberry Chutney|| |
- 3 Tbsp. of filtered water
- 1 Tbsp. of organic pure cane sugar (Less is you prefer or sweeten with maple syrup instead)
- 1 organic Gala apple, chopped, peeling left on
- 1 can of organic whole berry cranberry sauce (With no sugar or low sugar added and no preservatives or additives)
- ¼ Cup of finely chopped organic walnuts
- ½ Cup of Pinot Noir wine
- In a saucepan place 2 Tbsp. of water and 1 Tbsp. of pure cane sugar over medium to high heat.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add chopped apple and cook until softened. Approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Add Cranberry sauce to pan along with wine and walnuts. Stir well to mix all ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer on stove top until the mixture reduces and the sauce thickens. Stirring often to prevent sticking. Approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Serve chilled.