Here is my “Southern Girl Version” of a Classic French Nicoise Salad.
This salad it typically composed of Bibb lettuce, tomatoes, French green beans, tuna, hard-boiled eggs, Nicoise olives and anchovies. The dressing is a simple red wine vinaigrette.
We had this delicious salad for lunch today simply because I had some left over green beans that I needed to use up before they went bad. I looked around in the pantry to see what else I could find and found one can of my favorite tuna, Planet wild albacore tuna.
I had spinach on hand and pastured eggs. I did not have any of the purplish black Nicoise olives, but I did have Kalamata olives which is a great substitute for most recipes. I added purple onion to my version of this salad because….Hey, what doesn’t taste great with purple onion?
I dressed the Nicoise salad with my favorite red wine vinaigrette. It is my go-to salad dressing and very simple to put together. Especially if you have one of those fab measure, mix and pour containers from Pampered Chef that helps you mix all sorts of dressings and condiments.
What an awesome Sunday lunch. This was super quick to plate up and I love it when I can throw together a meal with things I have on hand. It was healthy, clean and very filling. I told Lee that I could eat this everyday! I seriously think I could too.
The French have it going on, right?
Happy Sunday my friends! 🙂
|Nicoise Salad|| |
- 4 cups of fresh organic baby spinach
- 1 can of wild caught albacore tuna
- 2 hard-boiled organic pastured eggs, peeled and quartered
- French green beans, (Haricot verts) steamed
- 1 organic tomato, quartered
- Sliced purple onion, as much as desired
- ½ cup of sliced or whole pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 Tbsp. of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. of red wine vinegar
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. of Dijon mustard
- ½ Tbsp. of agave nectar
- 1 pinch of salt (I used Real Salt brand)
- 1 pinch of cracked black pepper
- Boil the pastured eggs and allow them to cool at least 30-45 minutes.
- Steam the green beans in the microwave for 2 minutes and allow to cool....or you may blanch them in boiling water for 1 minute and then submerge them in ice water to stop the cooking process.
- In a small bowl or container, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, agave and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Arrange approximately 2 cups of baby spinach onto 2 dinner plates.
- Place ½ can of tuna in the middle of each plate and on top of the spinach.
- Add the tomato slices, quartered boiled-egg pieces, green beans, purple onion and Kalamata olives to the plate surrounding the tuna.....as shown in the photos.
- Scatter chopped parsley evenly on top of both salads.
- Drizzle each salad with red wine vinaigrette and serve immediately.
- NOTE: Double the ingredients for 4 salad servings.