There are a lot, and I mean A LOT of packaged all-natural, organic, non GMO tortilla chips on the market today. There is one particular brand of chips that I pick up occasionally by….. The Garden of Good Eatin’. When I do buy these chips, I usually buy the spicy ones…. Red Hot Blues. They are blue corn chips with a bit of a kick.
So you are probably wondering why I would want to go to all the trouble to make my own tortilla chips when there are so many pre-packaged options. Well, basically I wanted to eliminate some of the non-nutritional ingredients in the store bought tortilla chips such as refined oils and flours as well as eliminate the deep frying of the chips by “baking” my own.
I saw a recipe recently posted on one of my favorite websites for clean eating…..Clean Cuisine and More. Ivy Larson has some really delicious and flavorful recipes on her site as well as tons of information on clean eating. Check out Ivy’s website and read about her life changing, clean eating story. It is truly inspiring.
Ivy posted a great homemade tortilla chip recipe a week or two ago and it looked really simple, so I thought I’d give it a try. I changed up the recipe a bit by putting a few spices on my chips once they came out of the oven. I was trying to replicate the flavor of the…. Red Hot Blue chips by Garden of Good Eatin’.
I cut the corn tortillas into 4 triangle shaped pieces using a pizza cutter. You could also use kitchen scissors to cut the tortillas. I then rubbed a small of amount of red palm oil and lime juice onto each side of the chips. I say, “rub” because of the texture of the red palm oil. It is sort of the consistency of yogurt or mayonnaise.
When the chips came out of the oven I sprinkled a blend of smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne and Real Salt. It was the perfect seasoning for my homemade tortilla chips.
These chips are perfect for your favorite fresh salsa, guacamole or to serve with a big pot of chili or my super flavorful Taco Soup!
|Spicy Homemade Tortilla Chips|| || |
- 1 package of organic corn tortillas
- 1-2 Tbsp. of red palm oil
- 1-2 Tbsp. of lime juice
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. of cayenne
- ½ tsp. of Real Salt (or sea salt)
- Using a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors cut each tortilla into 4 triangle shaped pieces.
- Place all of the chips onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Mix together 1 Tbsp. of lime juice and 1 Tbsp. of red palm oil.
- Rub both sides of the chips with red palm oil/lime juice mixture.
- Place the baking sheet into a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for 9 minutes.
- While the chips are baking, place all of the spices into a small bowl and mix together well.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle a light dusting of the spice mixture over the chips. Then turn all of the chips over and place back into the oven to bake for another 8 minutes.
- Once the chips are done, remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle a light dusting of the spice mixture over this side of the chips.
- You will need to bake the chips in two batches. Mix together 1 Tbsp. of red palm oil and 1 Tbsp. of lime juice again and rub over both sides of the remaining chips and repeat the same instructions for baking.
- Allow the chips to cool and serve immediately with your favorite salsa, dip, soup or chili.