Here is another great soup recipe to warm the body this fall and winter.
I’ve been on a soup kick lately. It’s just that time of year, right? It gets dark early, it’s much cooler, we have a fire in the fireplace……so soup for dinner is ideal for a warm and cozy evening inside.
Taco soup has been a favorite in our home for many years. My husband loves this soup. Everyone I know seems to have a Taco Soup recipe in their repertoire. There are so many different variations of this soup. I used to make this soup a bit differently until we changed our diets and converted to a healthier and cleaner way of eating. The recipe was easily converted to a more nutritious version once we made that change.
I use ground turkey in this recipe now where I used to make this soup with ground beef. I suppose grass fed ground beef would be just fine, but we try to eat less red meat nowadays. I may go for weeks at a time without red meat, but that change has been a bit harder for my hubby. I have made this Taco soup recipe without any meat at all and added three different types of beans…..Pinto beans, black beans and kidney beans. I actually prefer the vegetarian version to be honest and it is just as hearty as when I make it with the ground turkey.
The one thing that I LOVE about this soup recipe is that it is super quick to put together. You can have this meal on the table in less than 45 minutes. The recipe makes a ton so you’ll have some for leftovers. It freezes really well too.
We like to top our soup with pickled jalapenos, cilantro or chopped avocado and I serve my homemade tortilla chips alongside. (Recipe for the chips will soon to be on the blog.)
|Taco Soup.....A Favorite in our Home|| |
- 1 lb. of ground turkey
- 1-2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can of organic kidney beans, with liquid (I used Eden organic brand)
- 1 can of organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of sweet yellow corn, with liquid
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes, do not drain
- 1½ cups of spicy tomato/veggie juice, similar to V-8 (I used R.W. Knudsen brand)
- 1 can of organic gluten free tomato soup
- ½ cup - 1 cup of filtered water
- 1 pkg. of organic taco seasoning mix
- ½ tsp. of cayenne, less if you prefer.
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika (Do not substitute with regular paprika)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium to high heat.
- Add ground turkey to the saucepan, break apart and cook until almost done. 5-8 minutes.
- Place chopped onion and chopped green bell pepper to the pan and cook another 5-8 minutes, stirring often until vegetables are softened.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients into the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium/low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro, pickled jalapenos or chopped avocado
- Serve with tortilla chips if desired