Here is another one of my recipe makeovers. This one kept me up at night until I figured it out.
We had a fun office swim party at our house this past July. All the girls came with their husbands and children and we just had a large time.
Everyone was to bring a side dish and we provided the main course. Of course, I can’t serve all clean and healthy dishes when we have guest over or I’d never get anyone to come back and visit, right? So, we had a variety of food there…. healthy dishes and some not so healthy dishes were the fare…all of which were tasty and typical to what you normally see at a bar-b-cue.
My sweet friend Brittany brought the food item that was the hit of the party. Especially for the men. Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers….. stuffed with cream cheese, sausage and parmesan cheese… and then baked in the oven until they were ooey gooey and amazing. I tried one and I have to say…. it’s been a while since I’ve had Jimmy Dean sausage, but it was just as I remembered….. very yummy! These peppers were so delicious for sure even though they were not so healthy or clean.
I went to bed that night and actually laid awake thinking of how I could make this appetizer more nutritional, clean and healthy, but still taste wonderful and creamy. Yes… I am a foodie geek as you already know. 🙂
I knew that I had to add some veggies in place of the meat and a different type cheese of course. I decided that organic goat cheese was an appropriate substitute for the Philadelphia brand cream cheese. I sprinkled just a dusting of gluten free bread crumbs on top and then baked the peppers until they were slightly browned. Just so you know…. the heat of the jalapeno peppers go down quite a bit once they are cooked…. just in case you are worried that this recipe might be too spicy.
My friends…. this healthier version of stuffed jalapeno peppers came out just as yummy and fabulous as the sausage/cream cheese ones. Perfectly flavorful but… still healthy and clean.
This recipe would be a great for your tail-gating parties this fall! Enjoy!
|Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers....With Garden Fresh Veggies|| |
- 4-5 jalapeno pepper, seeded, stem removed and cut in half lengthwise
- 4-5 oz. of organic goat cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp. of finely grated carrot
- 2 Tbsp. of finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. of finely chopped purple onion
- 1-2 small cloves of garlic
- 1½ Tbsp. of finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup of gluten free bread crumbs (I used Rudi's multigrain bread and placed in a high speed blender)
- Sea Salt or Real Salt brand and cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice the jalapeno peppers vertically and remove seeds and stem. Place into a shallow baking dish.
- Place softened goat cheese into a mixing bowl along with carrots, red bell pepper, purple onion, garlic and cilantro. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Using a large spoon, stir to mix all the ingredients well.
- Using a small teaspoon, fill the jalapeno peppers with the goat cheese and vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle a small amount of bread crumbs on top of each pepper.
- Place baking dish into the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes until the bread crumbs are slightly browned.
- Once done, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer peppers to a tray and serve immediately.