Indian Vegetable Curry is one of my favorite meals. I simply love, love, love it. The spiciness of the green curry mixed with the coconut milk is a combination that I will never turn down.
Generally, I serve vegetable curry with brown rice or quinoa, but I had a recipe idea come to mind yesterday and decided I must give it a try last night for dinner. I seriously think I hit a homerun with this one. I’m tooting my own horn a bit, but…. I can’t help it. I really surprised myself with this dish…. It was so yummy and turned out just perfect! 🙂
I had some Swiss chard that I grew on my Tower Garden and I had planned to use it to make a curry dish, but the idea for a “naan bread/curry pizza” came into my head and I couldn’t stop thinking about it and until I figured out exactly how I was going to make my Indian inspired pizza. (I’m such a foodie geek.)
We usually make pizza with naan bread at our house. It’s not gluten free, but I have yet to find a premade gluten free pizza crust that actually tastes good. So… when we have pizza… I have to bite the bullet and eat gluten. Naan bread is a traditional Indian flatbread that is typically served with curry and used for dipping and dunking into the curry sauce. (It’s making my mouth water just thinking about it.) I have found Stonefire brand premade naan bread to be amazing and very fresh. I purchase this bread at both Publix and Earth Fare. This bread is all natural. The garlic flavor is my personal favorite.
Sweet potatoes, red bell pepper, garlic, ginger and a sweet yellow onion were definite toppings for my pizza. Basically, everything that you would put in a curry dish… including cilantro and crushed red pepper to garnish. I decided that a coconut green curry sauce would be ideal and the perfect compliment to the sweet potatoes and Swiss chard. To top it off, a dab of, oh so creamy….goat cheese.
HOLY COW this pizza was good! :
Not only does this pizza taste fabulous, it adds an amazing amount of nutrition to your diet. The sweet potatoes contain a large amount of Vitamin B-6 as well as Vitamins C and D and a powerful cancer fighting antioxidant…. Vitamin A. It is definitely a heart healthy vegetable. Swiss Chard is a lovely green that often doesn’t get it’s due credit. It is used in many Mediterranean dishes. It is very high in antioxidants and possibly one of the most antioxidant rich foods on earth. Swiss chard has a significant amount of calcium. So, if you are like me and dairy is not your friend….having some yummy Swiss chard is a great way to add calcium to your diet. The coconut milk in the sauce for this pizza is a healthy fat, which our bodies need and could actually aid in weight loss.
If you are a fan of Indian curry…. you must give this pizza a try. Liven up your Pizza night with something a bit different.
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Naan Bread Pizza….. With Coconut Green Curry Sauce……Enjoy! 🙂
|Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Pizza....With Coconut Green Curry Sauce|| |
- 2 pieces of Naan Bread (I used Stonefire brand, premade bread)
- 2 Tbsp. of coconut oil
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large bunch of Swiss Chard, stems removed and chopped coarsely
- ½ of a red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ of a sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. of chopped ginger (I used ginger from a jar. Use less if using fresh ginger)
- 1 can of coconut milk, full fat or light
- 3 Tbsp. of green curry paste
- 1-2 Tbsp. of organic brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. of fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. of gluten free soy sauce
- Sea salt (Or Real Salt brand) and cracked black pepper to taste
- ¼ - ⅓ cup of organic goat cheese, crumbled
- Chopped fresh cilantro and Crushed red pepper to garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, green curry paste, brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce and a pinch of salt. Place the sauce into the refrigerator and allow to thicken as it chills.
- Place the two pieces of naan bread onto a baking sheet or baking stone and brush with 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil and place into a 400 degree oven until lightly browned. Approximately 5-8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat ½ Tbsp. of coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add diced sweet potatoes to the pan and cover loosely, stirring and checking often to prevent from sticking. (You may add 1 Tbsp. of water to the pan to help steam the potatoes)
- Cook potatoes until done, but still firm. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining ½ Tbsp. of coconut oil to the pan along with the red bell pepper, onion, garlic an ginger. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring often for approximately 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are softened. Do not allow garlic to burn..... reduce heat more if necessary.
- Once veggies are done, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add Swiss chard to the saute pan along with 1 Tbsp. of water and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and cook only until slightly wilted. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove the coconut curry sauce from the refrigerator and spoon approximately 1-2 Tbsp. of sauce onto each piece of naan bread, spreading evenly over the two pieces of flatbread.
- Scatter Swiss chard evenly over the bread and artfully arrange the cooked sweet potatoes as well.
- Add the cooked pepper/onion mixture to the top and crumble the goat cheese evenly over both pieces of bread.
- Cook in the pre-heated 400 degree oven for approximately 10-12 minutes or until pizzas are starting to brown and the goat cheese is melting.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly.
- Drizzle with another 1-2 Tbsp. of the coconut curry sauce over the top of each pizza and cut each naan bread into 4 pieces.
- Garnish fresh cilantro and crushed red pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately