Sloppy Joes are awesome, right? Everyone likes this messy, dripping and yummy sandwich. We used to make these all the time, only they were not so healthy. Unfortunately, Manwich in a can was our choice for Sloppy Joes. Sad, but true.
The ingredients in Manwich are:
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Distilled Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Less than 2% of: Salt, Sugar, Dehydrated Onions, Dehydrated Red and Green Bell Peppers, Chile Pepper, Tomato Fiber, Spices, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Dehydrated Garlic, Carob Bean Gum, Natural Flavors.
That “High Fructose Corn Syrup” thing does not make me happy. Not to mention…dehydrated vegetables and natural flavors. For those of you that may not know….. “Natural flavors” are not natural at all. It is a man-made concoction from a lab somewhere. “Natural flavors” are an additive made by food and flavor scientists and meant to make processed foods more flavorful. Not so great, huh?
Because we love Sloppy Joes at our house, I wanted to find a way to make a healthier and cleaner version. I looked around at different recipes and decided that I needed to create my own version. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef. I also used all fresh vegetables, minimal sugar and of course….no artificial anything. For the toasted, crusty buns….. I used Rudi’s gluten free multigrain hamburger buns.
I hope you’ll try this recipe. It beats Manwich…. up one side and down the other. Your children will love it too!
|Sloppy Joes.... A Healthy, Clean and Better Than Manwich|| || |
- 1 Tbsp. of organic cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1½ lbs. of organic ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp. of Montreal steak seasoning (I used McCormick brand)
- 1 Tbsp. of organic brown sugar
- 1 medium organic yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. of red wine vinegar
- 1½ Tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce (I used Annie's organic brand)
- 2 cups of organic tomato sauce (I used Muir Glen brand)
- 2 Tbsp. of organic tomato paste
- 1 tsp. of spicy brown mustard
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 package of hamburger rolls, toasted (I use Rudi's brand, gluten free)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey to the skillet. break up the meat and begin to brown. Cook for approximately 5-7 minutes.
- When the ground turkey is almost browned, sprinkle in brown sugar and steak seasoning. Continue to cook, stirring often until done.
- Once the turkey is done, add onions and red peppers to pan and cook for approximately 3-5 minutes until vegetables have softened.
- Add red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper (optional) to the skillet and mix well with other ingredients. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce, tomato paste and mustard, reduce heat to low and stir well.
- Simmer uncovered on low for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Toast rolls slightly under oven broiler.
- Spoon Sloppy Joe mixture onto toasted hamburger rolls and serve immediately.
Facts on “Natural Flavors” was found on this website: http://www.fearlessfatloss.com/book-reviews/what-is-the-ingredient-natural-flavor/