Egg salad sandwiches can be found on our table about every other weekend. It’s a great Saturday or Sunday lunch meal. Egg salad is quick to put together and when we are busy with things around the house we can quickly grab a sandwich and keep going.
Of course, I used to make egg salad the typical way. Chopped boiled eggs, mayonnaise, sweet pickles, garlic powder, salt and pepper were the ingredients of my old recipe. Once we started cleaning up our diet I looked around for a healthier recipe for egg salad. I tried several different recipes. One of them used plain hummus in place of the mayo. It was not bad, but we just didn’t fall in love with it enough to make it again.
As I usually do…. I changed up the recipe a good bit, but the idea is essentially the same…..eggs and avocado. I love this egg salad recipe!
You get the creaminess of the avocado to take the place of mayonnaise in this egg salad. You’ll taste the bright freshness of the lemon and the tang of the Dijon mustard. The parsley and spring onions add flavor and texture as well. Not to mention, two great proteins at once.
The health benefits of both the eggs and the avocado are wonderful. If you choose pastured eggs that is even better. As I’ve said before, I believe that God intended chickens to peck the ground and eat bugs and worms. The health of the animal is definitely related to our health. A pastured chicken is healthier because it lives as it should. We benefit also when we eat the eggs that they lay. I love Pasture Verde brand pastured eggs and I find these delicious and healthy eggs at Earth Fare.
If you love egg salad you absolutely must try this fab recipe. A much healthier and delicious option for your egg salad sandwich. Serve it up on a healthy bread such as Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain bread or Rudi’s gluten free multi-grain bread for an awesome lunchtime meal
Eggs up! 🙂
|Avocado Egg Salad|| |
- 3 pastured boiled eggs, chopped coarsely
- 1 large ripe organic avocado, chopped coarsely
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ Tbsp. of Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped (light green and dark green parts only)
- Sea salt or Real Salt brand and cracked black pepper to taste.
- Boil the eggs and set aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, chop the eggs coarsely and place into a mixing bowl.
- Peel and remove the pit from the avocado and coarsely chop. Place into the bowl with the egg.
- Using a fork, press the avocado and egg against the sides of the bowl to break into smaller pieces and blend together.
- Once the eggs and avocado are at your desired consistency add the lemon juice, Dijon, garlic powder, fresh parsley, spring onions and salt and pepper to the mixing bowl.
- Using a spoon, mix all the ingredients well until blended together.
- Serve on a healthy bread with a side of fresh raw vegetables.