This is one of our summertime favorite meals.
It is fabulous on a summer evening with a glass of wine and some toasted sprouted grain bread.
I first made this salad when we lived in England. I had a lovely friend, Jackie that gave me this recipe; if you can call it a recipe really. I worked with Jackie at Laura Ashley. Our company sent us to York for additional training and on the way back that evening we discussed what our evening meals would be. She told me that her husband Rob was making a Greek salad for dinner. Rob was quite the chef and loved cooking all the meals for their family.
When she described how to put the salad together…… it didn’t really sound like what I knew a Greek salad to be.
The Greek salads that I had ordered in restaurants in the past were always…..lettuce, tomato, olives, feta and onion…. maybe some pepperoncini and a vinaigrette dressing. Basically just a tossed salad. The way Jackie described the Greek salad was more like what I remember my mom making as a child….. Marinated Tomato and Cucumber Salad. A very typical salad during the summer months in the South.
The following weekend I decided to serve the Greek Salad that Jackie and Rob had made for dinner. Since that time I have made this over and over again. This version of Greek salad has turned out to be a favorite in our home.
A few weeks ago, I made this salad with some lovely Heirloom Tomatoes that I picked up at Good Earth Produce here in Augusta, GA. They added a level of flavor that was amazing. I think I will definitely look for Heirloom tomatoes when making this salad in the future.
Aren’t these tomatoes gorgeous?
Give this delicious Greek salad a try and I am certain you will love it. It’s super simple and quick to put together, which will give you time to enjoy your family and friends on these beautiful summer evenings.
Enjoy and…… Happy Sunday!
|Greek Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes|| |
- 4 large Heirloom tomatoes, sliced in ½ inch slices
- 1-2 organic cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- ½ - ¼ of an organic purple onion, sliced very thin
- ½ cup of sliced Kalamata olives
- ½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup of organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. of aged balsamic vinegar
- ½ Tbsp. of agave nectar
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. of fresh oregano, chopped fine
- Sea salt or Real Salt brand salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Slice tomatoes and peel and slice cucumbers. Lay both onto a large serving platter, artfully arranged.
- Slice the purple onion very thin and scatter over the tomatoes and cucumber on the platter.
- Scatter the olives and feta cheese on top of the other vegetables.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, agave nectar, garlic and oregano.
- Drizzle dressing over the vegetables.
- Serve immediately at room temperature. Delicious with toasted sprouted grain bread.