Peaches are my absolute favorite fruit. I grew up in upstate South Carolina and peach trees were right outside my door. Fields of peach trees were all around our area. Every spring the beauty of their blooms would take your breath away. As all teenagers did in the upstate, I worked in the peach shed, packing peaches for a summer job. Nothing is better than a juicy, ripe peach on a hot summer day.
Last weekend we found the most delicious way to serve peaches.
Quite often I visit our local olive oil store here in Augusta, GA…. High Country Olive Oil Company. If you are local but have not taken the time to go by and sample some of their lovely olive oils and balsamic vinegars, I urge you to do so. If you are not in this area, you may order their products online through their website. Many times I use their infused oils and flavored balsamic vinegars when preparing our meals. This is a way to add flavor to our meals while still keeping them clean and healthy. Eating clean is possible if you include a variety of flavor-forward foods in your diet. Otherwise, you will get bored very quickly.
Here is a quick and easy way to serve those beautiful peaches without much time or effort. If you are like us, we grill about every weekend in the summer months. After you pull those grass fed steaks, salmon fillets or pastured chicken breast off the grill, why not grill some peaches?
Please note, this recipe calls for Coconut Milk Ice Cream. I use coconut milk to replace dairy milk due to it’s health benefits. It’s unique fatty acids may aid in weight loss, improve immune function, reduce heart disease risk and improve skin and hair health. Coconut milk is non-dairy and is great for those folks that can not tolerate dairy. Remember though, don’t eat the whole tub. Have a single serving, which is 1/2 cup.
|Grilled Peaches and Coconut Milk Ice Cream|| |
Author: Alisa Rhinehart
- 2-3 fresh peaches, pitted and sliced with peel on
- 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. of Sweet Peach balsamic vinegar, from High Country Olive Oil Company
- 1 small container of vanilla coconut milk ice cream (I used Coconut Bliss brand)
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- Garnish with chopped pecans, optional
- Wash, remove the pit and slice the peaches then place onto a tray with peel side down.
- Whisk together, 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and 1 Tbsp. of Sweet Peach Balsamic vinegar. (Alternatively you may use white balsamic vinegar)
- Brush mixture on the flesh side of the peaches.
- Place peaches flesh side down onto the grill.
- Grill only until the peaches are slightly softened and have grill marks.
- Place a serving of coconut milk ice cream in 2-4 bowls.
- Serve the grilled peaches over the ice cream.
- Drizzle with the remaining Tbsp. of Sweet Peach balsamic vinegar.
- Garnish with a pinch of ground cinnamon
- Add chopped pecans, if desired
Information on Coconut Milk was found at: http://www.livestrong.com/article/409614-the-health-benefits-of-coconut-milk/