This pasta dish is a favorite at our house. It’s on my husband’s “top 10 meals” list. A flavor filled dish…..the pesto is a perfect combination for the vegetables; asparagus, Baby Bella mushrooms and green peas.
I created this pasta dish one evening when I was craving pasta for dinner and I wanted to use some of the pesto that I had on hand. A veggie pasta dish was the choice. I happened to have asparagus and mushrooms in the fridge. Shallots and green peas were a great addition also. I love green peas in anything. Yum!
I always keep a quality pre-made pesto on hand. Cibo Naturals brand has only real food ingredients and it taste fabulous. It saves a lot of time for me and I’m all about making things easier for myself. You can use pesto on so many different foods. We love it on veggie Panini’s. You could however, save some fat and calories if you chose to make your own pesto and used less of the parmesan cheese or leave it out all together.
The gluten free penne pasta brand that I prefer is Farmo. It is a corn/rice pasta. It is much firmer and cooks up al dente every time. I like it much better than plain rice pasta. Sometimes rice pasta can be a bit mushy for my taste. Especially if it is over cooked.
This pasta dish is so very simple to prepare. It’s a one dish meal and can be on the table in 30-40 minutes tops. A comfort food meal and nutritional and clean at the same time. Make it a completely vegetarian dish by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Give this recipe a try and experiment by adding your own flare and different vegetables. Zucchini would be delicious also. Hope you enjoy! 🙂
|Gluten Free Penne Pasta with Pesto and Veggies|| |
- 3½ cups of uncooked gluten free penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 shallots, sliced thin
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch of organic asparagus, 3-4 inch tips only
- 1 cup of sliced Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup of green peas, frozen or canned
- ¼ cup of basil pesto
- The juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine, approximately (I used pinot grigio)
- Sea salt or Real Salt brand and cracked black pepper to taste
- Grated fresh parmesan, optional
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Boil penne pasta according to package directions.
- At the same time, heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic to the oil and cook until softened. Approximately 3-5 minutes. Adjust heat if necessary. Do not let garlic burn.
- Add the asparagus and mushrooms to the saute pan and reduce heat to medium/low. Pour in ¼ cup of the chicken or vegetable broth.
- Allow the vegetables to cook, checking and stirring often for approximately 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the green peas, another ¼ cup of chicken or vegetable broth, ¼ cup of white wine and the lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow vegetables to cook on low for another 5-7 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by approximately half. Vegetables should be tender crisp and not mushy.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the sauce pan with the vegetables along with the ¼ cup of pesto. Toss to coat all pasta and vegetables with the pesto.
- Serve immediately with fresh grated parmesan if desired.