This recipe is a great alternative to plain old hummus or…. guacamole. It’s a lovely appetizer that combines beans and avocado, but instead of chickpeas…. it has Cannellini beans, a traditional Italian bean, which gives the dip a completely different taste.
I also love that you are getting a double dose of nutrition with the avocado and beans. Avocado has over 20 vitamins and minerals and it’s mono and polyunsaturated fat content make it a great substitute for foods high in saturated fat. The beans in the recipe have twice as much iron as beef and they are a low fat, high fiber food.
I actually saw Giada De Laurentiis make this recipe on her cooking show about six months ago. I would watch The Food Network from sun up until sun down. Kind of like how my husband watches college football from 10:00am until Midnight every Saturday during the football season. I love to watch all the different cooking shows and I get tons of ideas from them. Even…. Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri. Now I just try to clean those recipes up and make them more healthy and nutritional.
I changed this recipe slightly from the one Giada made. I added some more flavor with additional garlic and something different……. Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend. Check out the original recipe by Giada.
Make this recipe to share with your friends or family this weekend by the pool. Enjoy!
|Cannellini Bean and Avocado Hummus|| || |
- 2 Avocados, peeled, seed removed and coarsely chopped
- ½ Cup of Organic Arugula
- 1 Can of Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained (I use Eden Organic brand)
- 2 Tbsp. of flat leaf Italian parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. of water
- 1 Tsp. of Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend
- 1 Tsp. of salt, more or less if you prefer
- A pinch of cracked black pepper
- Place Avocado, arugula, cannellini beans, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper along with Chipotle Seasoning into a high speed blender.
- Blend for 1 minute.....Then add the olive oil a little at a time while the mixture is still blending by pouring it through the opening on the lid. (Do not remove lid)
- Once olive oil is incorporated, slowly add the water a little at a time until desired consistency.
- Chill and serve with organic gluten free blue corn tortilla chips.