In our home we…. love, love, love Southwestern food of any kind.
For me, personally, the spicier the better. I took after my mother in that aspect. She always loved spicy food. My mom and dad lived in El Paso, Texas while my dad was in the Air Force. While they were stationed there, my mom learned to love Southwestern and Mexican foods. She told me stories about a lovely Hispanic lady that lived next door to them. The lady could not speak a word of English but she taught my mother, a young military wife…. how to cook some delicious Mexican dishes. My mother passed on her love for Mexican food to me.
This particular soup is probably my husband’s favorite. It is quite filling and so flavorful with the cumin and other spices. The cannellini beans give this soup a creamy texture, but also adds protein and fiber. I garnish this soup with avocado and cilantro… which adds a bit more nutrition as well as flavor. This soup is quick and easy to prepare. I serve it on weeknights and I can have it on the table in less than an hour. That is always a plus!
I was inspired by a recipe that I saw on a website www.genaknox.com. Gena Knox and her husband own the company Fire and Flavor. Gena is an amazing cookbook author from south Georgia and has written several books with many wonderful southern recipes. I changed the original recipe a bit and added sweet yellow corn and jalapeno. See…. there I go again with the spicy. 🙂
Give this recipe a try and introduce another healthy, clean soup to your family this fall. Enjoy! 🙂
|White Bean and Chicken Tomatillo Soup|| |
- 1 Tbsp. of organic olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 medium Vidalia onion (or sweet yellow onion), chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. of ground cumin
- 1 4 oz. can of organic chopped green chilies
- 2 can's of white beans (such as cannellini beans), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups of organic free-range chicken broth
- 1 cup of tomatillo salsa (I used Herdez brand)
- 1 cup of organic sweet yellow corn (I used frozen corn)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped fine (use less or omit altogether if you prefer)
- 2 cups of shredded organic/all natural chicken (I used a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken to save time)
- The juice of one lime
- Real Salt or sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Chopped avocado and chopped cilantro to garnish
- Heat oil in a 3 quart sauce pan over medium to high heat.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and sauté and cook until softened. Approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium/low and add cumin and green chilies and jalapeno to pan, stir to mix with onion and garlic.
- Add beans and chicken broth to pan. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Using an emulsion blender, puree until the soup is a creamy texture but leaving about ⅓ the beans whole.
- Stir in tomatillo salsa, shredded chicken and corn and mix well with other ingredients.
- Add the juice of one lime and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Place in serving bowls and garnish with avocado and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.