If you love avocados as much as I do, you will love this dressing. It’s got a creamy “mayonnaise” texture to it, but there is not a drop of mayonnaise in this recipe. I have to admit that I have missed the occasional salad with creamy ranch or blue cheese dressing. Those dressings add tons of flavor, but are very unhealthy and pretty much ruin a healthy salad. I found a salad dressing recipe very similar to this one in an eBook that I downloaded, “30 Eat Clean Dinners” by Ivy Larson. I changed the recipe and used different ingredients than Ivy did, but the basic concept of giving the dressing a “creamy” texture is the same…… it comes from the avocado itself.
Avocados are full of nutrition. Here are few health benefits of avocados:
- Heart Health: 1 cup of avocado has 23% of the daily recommended value of folate. Those individuals that eat a diet rich in folate have a lower risk of heart disease.
- Lowers Cholesterol: Studies have proven that avocados can help to lower cholesterol by 17% after eating avocado daily for only 1 week.
- Eye Health: Due to the amount of carotenoid lutein in avocados, it helps to protect against macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Anti-Inflammatory: There are many nutrients in avocados that are proven to decrease inflammation in the body. Arthritis is an inflammatory disease and those with both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis could benefit from adding avocados to their diet.
- Anti-Aging: A great source of glutathione, an important antioxidant that researchers say is important in aging, cancer and heart disease.
Give this creamy avocado dressing a try and add it to a delicious healthy salad. Instead of ruining a perfectly healthy salad by heaping on a pile of bad fats and sugars, you’ll be adding even more nutrition to your meal. Did I mention…… It’s full of flavor too? 🙂
|Creamy Avocado Salad Dressing......Full of Flavor|| |
- 1 ripe organic avocado
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. of organic cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 cup of water
- 2 Tbsp. of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. of Real Salt or sea salt
- ½ tsp. of cracked black pepper
- Peel avocado and remove pit, coarsely chop the avocado and place in a high speed blender.
- Chop shallot coarsely and chop flat leaf parsley and place both in the blender with the avocado.
- Add in the olive oil and white wine vinegar, ½ cup of water and salt and pepper.
- Blend all ingredients in the blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
- Remove lid and taste the dressing. Adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Add in another ½ cup of water and blend again for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until dressing is well blended.
- Serve immediately on top of dark greens.
- May be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for about a week.
Next Week: Another homemade salad dressing recipe………A Healthy Ranch Salad Dressing, Dip or Spread!