One of our favorite things to do on a Sunday evening is to have a light meal with several different Tapas. It reminds me of the time we spent in Spain a few years ago. These Marinated Mushrooms are perfect to serve as an appetizer. Very flavorful, but still healthy and clean. This dish has a very light, lemon dressing that also will make for a perfect accompaniment to grilled fish or chicken.
On our trip to Spain in 2008, we fell in love with the very relaxed atmosphere there. It is the most beautiful country and I love the Spanish lifestyle. We enjoyed an amazing four days in the perfect climate and sampling all of the delicious foods that Spain had to offer. For those of you that might have travelled there you understand when I say, the Spanish lifestyle is….. Laid back. The dinner hour doesn’t even start until about 9:00pm….. generally having Tapas instead of a large meal.
Tapas in Spain were usually marinated salads made from fresh vegetables, meats such as prosciutto or chorizo, fresh cheeses, olives and fresh breads. Lovely Spanish wine or Sangria was served with these yummy Tapas. We enjoyed the late dinner hour and sampling small bites of different flavors, all of which were very light and tasty. One special evening while in Spain we had dinner on the beach at a Tapas bar. We sat on the terrace and watched the sun set over the ocean. It was an awesome time with my son, Rhett and my husband Lee.
Beautiful, huh? Wouldn’t you like to see that view every evening? I sure would. This mushroom salad reminds me of the evening in the photo where I had Spanish Tapas on the beach in Rota, Spain with my two favorite guys.
Give this recipe a try. Have some marinated mushrooms and transport yourself to Spain. 🙂
|Marinated Mushrooms..... A Healthy Spanish Tapas Dish|| |
- 1 lb. of organic button mushrooms
- ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup of organic cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. of white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup of organic fresh flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ¼ tsp. of crushed red pepper
- ¼-1/2 tsp. of Real Salt or sea salt
- ¼ tsp. of cracked black pepper
- With a damp paper towel, clean mushrooms and then slice them thinly. Place into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the parsley and place in the bowl with the mushrooms.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil and white balsamic vinegar.
- Add crushed garlic, red pepper, salt and pepper to the lemon juice and olive oil and whisk again to mix all ingredients together well.
- Pour dressing mixture over mushrooms and parsley and toss to coat mushrooms.
- Serve immediately at room temperature or if you prefer, chill slightly.