For me, this time of year brings to mind several things. Leaves and pumpkins, apples, cinnamon, warm foods…. such as oatmeal and soups…. but of course, it is also the time of year that all the kiddos head back to school. Everyone is trying to get back in the groove of going to bed earlier, homework, school activities and sports and lining up the morning breakfast the night before so that getting out of the house each morning is a bit easier. Granola…. is the perfect solution.
This granola is a favorite in our home. I make a batch about every two weeks….. and it’s perfect for those rushed mornings or to take to work for a mid afternoon snack. It has a wonderful apple cinnamon flavor and is yummy with coconut milk yogurt, almond milk and berries or bananas or….. just as a snack…. all by itself. Sometimes I add raisins or dried cranberries to top it off.
My inspiration for this granola came from a blog that I follow. My Whole Food Life. Check out this blog…. you will not be disappointed if you are into healthy, clean food!
When I think of granola…. I think of my step-daughter Elizabeth. Elizabeth loves granola. Of our three children, she is the one that tends to like healthier food. She loves granola and yogurt for breakfast and when she is here I make sure to have this granola on hand for her.
This is a special year for Elizabeth…she is a college freshman at Montevallo University in Alabama. She has been…. SO excited about starting classes and getting to know new people. She has fallen right into the college life and loving every minute of it. Of course, we knew she would. Elizabeth has pledged Chi Omega Sorority and is making friends that she will have for the rest of her life. Great college memories.
About two weeks ago, I couldn’t resist mailing Elizabeth a box of healthy snacks. I included a big container of this granola. I hope she enjoyed it and I hope she will let me know when she needs more. We just want to make sure that she is eating as healthy as possible while she is away from home. Elizabeth is on the track team for Montevallo and nutrition is important for an athlete.
Elizabeth is in the front row, standing…. right behind the “Chi” symbol. Good times!
|Our Favorite Granola|| |
- ¼ tsp. of allspice
- 3½ cups of gluten free rolled oats (I used Bob's Red Mill brand)
- ¾ cup of unsweetened organic applesauce
- ⅓ cup of maple syrup
- 2 tsp. of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. of ginger
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl place all dry ingredients. Mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir with a large spoon making sure to coat all of the oats well.
- Place oats evenly onto 1 or 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove baking sheets out of oven and stir granola around a bit.
- Return to oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes or until slightly browned. Watch closely and do not overcook.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- If desired.... add raisins or dried cranberries and toss with granola.
- Store in an air tight container.