Red onions are always a delicious way to add flavor and color to your meal.
These pickled onions are an amazing option to spice things up a bit. I whipped up a batch of these yesterday in no time at all and we had them for dinner last night on some yummy grassfed bar-b-cue beef sliders. The pickled onions were a great contrast with the sweet bar-b-cue beef.
I found the original recipe for pickled red onions on an awesome blog that I follow……The View From Great Island. Sue does a great job of combining the right ingredients to make the flavors of food pop.
I changed Sue’s recipe up a bit…..Some ingredients are the same and some are different. Click here to see Sue’s recipe for Pickled Red Onions.
These pickled onions will be so wonderful served on a grass fed beef, bison, turkey or veggie burger and will add zing to any Panini or wrap too. They could also be served as an appetizer on a pickle tray with olives and other pickled veggies. I think they will be very nice to serve as a condiment on top of beans also.
|Pickled Red Onions|| |
- 3 medium organic red onions, peeled and sliced very thin
- 2 organic jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. of Real Salt or sea salt
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of white wine vinegar
- ½ cup of water
- 1 Tbsp. of multi-color peppercorns
- ½ tsp. of mustard seed
- ½ tsp. of dill weed
- ½ tsp. of garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. of sugar
- A pinch of Real Salt or sea salt
- 3 pint size mason or ball canning jars
- Peel and slice red onion very thin and place into a colander.
- Remove seeds from Jalapeno and slice thin, place into colander with onions.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of Real Salt or sea salt over onions and pepper and toss to coat well.
- Place colander over a bowl and cover. Refrigerate for approximately 2-3 hours. The onions will wilt and soften and the liquid will drain into the bowl.
- Remove onions and pepper from the refrigerator and rinse well and discard liquid in bowl. Allow vegetables to drain completely.
- Add onion and peppers to pint jars.
- In a small sauce pan heat... both vinegars, water, peppercorns, mustard seed, dill weed, garlic powder, sugar and a pinch of salt over medium heat.
- Stirring often, heat until sugar is dissolved. Approximately 5-7 minutes
- Pour vinegar mixture into the jars over the onions and peppers making sure to cover them with mixture.
- Seal jars and allow to cool completely before storing in the refrigerator.
- Red onion pickles will last about one month in the refrigerator.